|Jay Leno Tank Car '03|
|Appears in||Gran Turismo 4|
Gran Turismo 5
|Type in GT5||ST|
|Engine||Continental AV1790-5B Tank Engine|
The Jay Leno Tank Car is a car from Gran Turismo 4 and Gran Turismo 5. It is a copy of the real life "Blastolene Special", designed and made by glass specialist, Randy Grubb. The car features a Continental AV1790-5B tank engine, powering a custom designed aluminium body. The car currently housing this monstrous engine weighs just one-eleventh that of the M47 Patton Tank that it came from. The 810BHP that the engine produces, coupled with the relatively light bodywork, creates acceleration that compares to most modern day sports cars. In 2003, Grubb sold the car to TV personality Jay Leno, host of the world-famous chat show: "The Jay Leno Show" for a price of $125,000, who installed a new six-speed automatic gearbox, rear brakes, new electrical system and chassis work.
Since 2003, the Tank Car has been upgraded with twin-turbochargers and enhanced fuel-injection to produce an estimated 1,600BHP. This version of the car is not currently included in any Gran Turismo game.
This description is from this car's description page in Gran Turismo 5. It is transcluded from here.
- This unusual looking roadster is of course, not a production car. This is a car built by "Madman" Randy Grubb, a hot rod builder based in Grants Pass, Oregon. There's a reason this car is called the "Tank Car"; it's because the car is powered by a former US Army battle tank engine.
- The engine is a continental AV-1790-5B, a SOHC aircooled V12 with a displacement of 1790CI or 29333cc, normally aspirated. It is an engine that was equipped on the M47 Patton Tank, the main battle tanks used by the American Army in the '50s.
- The maximum outtput of the engine during its tank days was 799 BHP, but when transferring it to this car the intake and exhaust system was simplified, making it 900 BHP. The maximum torque is a mind boggling 1500lbs-ft, or 207 kgfm.
- The chassis is full original, and the classic style aluminum body is mounted on a steel ladder frame. In the front is a parallel leading link rigid suspension using 1/4 ellipse leaf springs and a dead axle from a ford truck. In the rear is also a parallel leading link rigid suspension, combined with an air suspension for large trucks with Koni shocks.
- The transmission is an Allison HT740 4 speed AT, and in the rear is a Rockwell differential with a pneumatic differential locking mechanism, all taken from large trucks.
- The Jay Leno Tank car with its 888 BHP monster engine is definitely one of the most radical custom cars on the road today.
Gran Turismo 4Edit
The Jay Leno Tank Car is not available for purchase in any Gran Turismo 4 dealership (the car appears in the American dealerships hall but with no price associated with it). It can only be acquired as a prize car, awarded for the completion of Driving Missions 11-20.
Gran Turismo 5Edit
As the Jay Leno Tank Car is a Standard car, it is not available to purchase from any dealership. It is, however, available to be won from the American Championship in the Extreme Series in A-Spec mode. It also appears, on occasion, in the Used Car Dealership at a cost of approximately 4,000,000 Credits (exact cost depends on mileage).